Saturday, July 5, 2014

These Are the Days

Location: Pocahontas State Park
Distance: 10.25 miles

Time/Pace: 1hr45min / 10:15 min/mile
Weather: PERFECT.
 
 
 
Most of my runs lately have been pretty gross. The heat, humidity and the fact that I've been trying to go faster have made for some ugly running scenes; shirtless, sweaty, spitting, swearing and holy crap its HOT. Today was the blissful exception. On the tail-end of Hurricane Whatshisface, we Richmonders have been given a gift: a much-needed break from the suffocating stickiness, just in time for the holiday weekend. Score!
Time for a run. A good one.
 
I haven't been running too far lately, opting to enjoy a little time off from super serious training to enjoy the summertime months and run a few short races here and there. My R&R is fixin' to come to a close, when I'll start training for a couple of fall half-marathons and the Seashore Nature Trail 50k in December. Today was the first time in a while that I've gone out for a 10+mile run; after my recent blah! running streak, I was pleasantly surprised. My legs felt great, only fatiguing/complaining a little after I hit the 9-mile mark (what the crap, lady?! this again?).
 
Not only did I feel better than I expected, the beauty of the day was enough to take my breath away at almost every bend in the path.
 
 

































Van Morrison is one of my all-time favorite singer/songwriters. His music makes me smile, cry, dance and feel just plain good. I don't usually run with music (I like to be totally aware of my surroundings, in case I need to scoot over for a biker or fight off a gnarly beaver), so its interesting to notice what songs pop into my head while I'm running. Some days, I get stuck with some Daniel Tiger jingle bouncing around in my head for miles at a time (too much PBS!). Other times, I'll bop along humming a Katy Perry or Ke$ha jam. Today, as I was out on the trails at Pocahontas, I had an overwhelming feeling of happiness, thankfulness and summertime-ness (yeah, because that's a word).


Cue the Van Morrison.





"These are the days of the endless summer
These are the days, the time is now
There is no past, there’s only future

There’s only here, there’s only now"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.